One step closerto a better future
Explore Life at LINE
- LINE Hybrid WOW Library For many people, books are magical doorways, allowing you entry into other worlds. Sometimes they are a shelter from the troubles of real life. Other times a fun playground to explore. And still other times, a way of gaining insights into the world that people wouldn’t get from their own lives.LINE believes in the power of books, and to that end, the LINE Plus offices in Korea offer the LINE Hybrid WOW Library, home to thousands of books available to all LINERs, both offline and online. Let’s check it out! LINE Hybrid WOW Library One of the most important questions LINERs are always asking themselves is “Is this a WOW?”, because creating that feeling of “WOW” is what leads to industry-leading, No. 1 services that people truly love and embrace. We call it “an unprecedented experience that you just have to share with others.” ( Read more ) And one of the most important sources of that inspiration for creating “WOWs” is in books. The LINE Hybrid WOW Library is the place where LINERs go to look for WOW insights and experiences, featuring books recommended by fellow LINERs. The LINE library features books any LINER can borrow, either a physical copy or as an e-book readable on mobile devices like smart phones and tablets (which is in line with LINE’s Hybrid Work policy and why it’s called the LINE Hybrid WOW Library). WOW BOOKS Curation From LINERs, by LINERs and for LINERs! LINE Hybrid WOW Library updates its “WOW” curated section every month with books personally recommended by LINERs. WOW Books 큐레이션 코너 WOW for LINERs Business management, leadership, and self-development books we think are great for LINERs WOW from LINERs WOW books personally recommended by LINERs for other LINERs Written by LINERs Books written by LINERs FNL Books Books autographed by the guests featured in our FNL (Friday Noon Live) events WOW in Magazines Magazines in all sorts of fields, from business management to philosophy The “WOW from LINERs” selection is especially notable, as LINERs can grow closer to their colleagues by sharing in the insights and experiences others have recommended. (!) Wait a minute! I heard that the LINE CEO recommended a book to LINE Hybrid WOW Library. Is this true?! Yes, it is! EJ Lee, the CEO of LINE Plus, takes reading very seriously (she even says it’s a dream of hers to open a bookstore in her neighborhood). EJ recently recommended the grown-up fairytale The Long, Long Night by Luri. The Long, Long Night (by Luri) EJ says: “I have two principles when making book recommendations for LINERs. The first is to pick a book that is easy to open, even for those who do not enjoy reading. And, second, to choose a book unrelated to work. As soon as I came up with those principles, I thought of The Long, Long Night. It’s a fairy tale but it’s more meaningful for adults, with their world experience, rather than for children. We all have to face the world and live on even if we would rather not. We all face radiant and tough moments of our own, and in all such moments our lives are connected to the lives of other beings, intertwined with coincidence and inevitable. At times, our moments shine and are helped by others’ support and sacrifice. To me, this book is about love and solidarity when leading our uneasy lives. This may sound cliché, but I hope this book offers a little WOW to you as well.” OFFLINE WOW Library Located on the 20th floor of the LINE Plus offices in Korea, the WOW Library is available for any LINERs to step in whenever they want and browse through the various books and magazines. In the WOW from LINERs section, the books also have notes with what people think are the most impressive sentences from the book and the reasons the book was recommended. Furthermore, there are panels set up in different spots around the library to introduce some WOW BOOKS. When taking a break from your work or when visiting the offline space with colleagues for casual meetings, you may find insights through the curated books on display. (Please note that you can borrow books from the online WOW Library using a QR code!) ONLINE WOW Library If you have decided what you want to read from the library but don’t want to carry a whole book around with you, you can borrow it instead from the “online” WOW Library. There are approximately 80,000 books available for LINERs, with about 400 books being added each month, providing all sorts of fascinating and creative ideas for any LINER looking to broaden their thoughts.(!) What books are the most popular in the WOW Library? Software Engineering at Google: Lessons Learned from Programming Over Time in the IT/programming field, topped the list. As the importance of software engineering is emphasized more amid rapid technological changes, we can see how LINERs enjoy using Google's years of know-how to build their own skills. Other top-ranked books include Why Fish Don't Exist: A Story of Loss, Love, and the Hidden Order of Life, Inconvenient Convenience Store, and Being Good at Your Job. A glimpse into the WOW Insights of LINERs From No. 1 through No. 10, we were able to see a wide range of interests and insights from LINERs, in a wide range of fields including IT and programming, science fiction, novels, self-development, humanities, and business management. Let's take a look at what insights people have found and shared based on the LINER book recommendations. Why Fish Don't Exist: A Story of Loss, Love, and the Hidden Order of Life (by Lulu Miller) WOW from Client Side Engineer (LINE+)“No spoilers! is probably the best introduction to this book. When you flip through the pages without any preconceived ideas about the book, you can feel its true appeal the best. If you need a small wonder in your boring and tiring life, open the first page of this book. I'm sure it will lead all LINERs to a whole new world. Welcome, to the world of small wonders.” Inconvenient Convenience Store (by Hoyeon Kim)WOW from Business Manager (LINE studio)"Since the episodes unfold in an omnibus way and everyone in the story is depicted as the main character, I think there will be something that resonates with anyone who reads it. I recommend it to those who want to see a heart-warming story from the perspective of each main character, and to those who are looking for an engrossing book that draws you in just like a drama." Being Good at Your Job (by Shu Yamaguchi, Gen Kunoski)WOW from Server Side Engineer (LINE+)“This book argues that the senses are important to being good at a job. It explains people who are good at what they do with their own senses as an example, and in the second half of the book, it also introduces how to develop your senses. This may sound like an obvious argument, but there are many examples in the book that made me think, "How can I do that?" I recommend this book as a tool to help people think about becoming a star employee!" Understandable IT Knowledge for Non-Majors (by Wonyoung Choi)WOW from Product Planner (LINE Biz+)"I worked on online-related tasks at my previous job, but working at LINE was a new challenge. I found this book while looking for IT-related books for my personal growth, and for better communications with the related teams including the development team. The author is a non-IT major and helped me understand IT tasks easily based on his own experiences, so I recommend reading this book to anyone who is struggling. Dallergut Dream Department Store (by Miye Lee)WOW from Client Side Engineer (LINE+)"Dallergut Dream Department Store is a fantasy novel about dreams. I enjoyed imagining the mysterious world you can only enter by falling asleep and the world in dreams where you can move between reality and the dream world, and my was heart warmed by the fairy tale-like stories. I'd like to share this book with my fellow LINERs because it is relaxing and comforting to read when you want to escape from the tiring and hard reality." WOW Library doesn't just have books! The offline WOW Library is a place where LINERs can get inspiration from the space itself and boost their creativity away from their work desks. Located on the 20th floor, the highest floor of LINE office, it boasts a breathtaking view of Bundang. You can pull up a cushion anywhere in the library and sit down on the tiered lounge. Thanks to this, it also serves as a venue for various internal events and exhibitions. Of course, it is also a great place to take a break after immersing yourself in work. You can grab a cup of coffee, chat, or simply recharge here [Hybrid WOW Library - Special Exhibition] "LINE STYLE: With the newbies" I hope that many LINERs will find WOW insights in the library’s books and inspiration for their daily lives! ※ The information in this content applies only to certain corporations, and may differ for other corporations.
- 'LINE STYLE', the Way LINERs Work! LINE is a place where people dream the same dream — of creating a No. 1 service that is adored by countless users — and work together to achieve that dream. LINE explores new opportunities with the goal of becoming No. 1, then LINERs work to achieve this, both individually and as teams.To turn seemingly impossible things into reality, LINE has constantly taken up challenges while understanding our users’ ever-changing needs. We started as a search engine, but made a dramatic pivot to become a messenger, earning the support of millions of users. Based on that messenger, we are continuing to grow our connections with our users in many different areas, including gaming, fintech, and e-commerce.As we’ve grown to become the global platform we are today, thanks to the love and support of our users, expectations for LINE have also grown and it is more important than ever that we fulfill our social responsibilities. WOW=No. 1 WOW = “An unprecedented experience that you just have to share with others” No. 1 services that lead the market and change paradigms always have a WOW factor. In other words, services become No. 1 because they pursue WOW and they create WOWs because they pursue being No. 1. Therefore, we LINERs must keep asking ourselves the question: “Is this ‘WOW’?” This question is not limited simply to products and services. It is a value that all LINERs must uphold, no matter what organization they’re affiliated with or what duties they are in charge of.True LINERs are those who work with determination and grit in their hearts to bring about WOW = No.1. LINE DNA, LINE STYLE LINE STYLE is simply the aggregate of all things “LINE,” the characteristics that have been established through the accumulation of LINE’s unique ways of working and thinking. It is, in short, our essence. The essence of who we are doesn’t change, however the form LINE STYLE takes does change with the times, evolving to address values that are important to LINE in light of the latest circumstances — from LINE STYLE 1.0, which defined LINE-ness and announced the birth of LINE STYLE, to LINE STYLE 2.0, which elaborated and explained the existing LINE keywords, and then to LINE STYLE 3.0, which reorganized the keywords to improve understanding. LINE STYLE 3.0 is divided into general directions that LINERs should follow and ideas about the ways realize those directions. As a result, LINE STYLE 3.0 is designed to help LINERs understand LINE STYLE more intuitively and apply it to their work.Now, let’s take an in-depth look at LINE STYLE 3.0 and explore how it serves as the standard for all LINERs. LINE STYLE 3.0 at a Glance One of the big changes to LINE STYLE 3.0 was the addition of “Stay Trustworthy,” which was added to the 11 existing LINE STYLE keywords to show the importance we place on maintaining the trust of our users. Since LINE has always made a point of responding to our users’ needs faster than anyone else, we felt that adding this category reflected how this issue has grown as a priority to users around the world. In turn, this helped everyone to think in more user-centric ways, recognizing that the scope of LINE users has expanded along with their expectations. We also selected three core directions to serve as the standard when LINERs are creating services at LINE, working as individuals, and collaborating as part of a team. Under those three general directions, the nine keywords were divided and grouped into threes, so that LINERs can put them into practice more readily. Users RuleUsers are at the core of everything LINE’s goal is to make No. 1 services. Since services can only survive and become No. 1 through the interest and choice of users, users are the foundation and core of all LINE services. That is why you need to think from the users’ perspective at every step creating a service, from start to end. You must ensure that the users trust LINE in every step of the service development process, from pinpointing user needs in advance to releasing distinctive services that embrace those needs. Always Data-drivenFirst and foremost, you must identify user needs based on data, not on a hunch. If you misidentify what our users need, the foundation of all our services, then your very starting point is going to be wrong. Often user needs are difficult to identify, so you can only uncover them when you analyze their data in depth, from different angles. Furthermore, user needs are always changing, so you must be attentive to their changes and keep your data up-to-date. Perfect the DetailsOnce you have pinpointed the users’ needs, you must apply them and create services with perfect details, like only LINE can offer. We can only survive the fierce competition when we offer unique and distinctive user experiences that stand out from the cascade of alternatives. The work doesn’t end with the release of a service. There is no guarantee that the users who were initially satisfied with a service will still choose it a year later. You must aim for a standard that exceeds their ever-changing expectations, observe their reactions, make the necessary modifications, and do what it takes so our users continue to choose us. Stay TrustworthyIt is also important to ensure you maintain the trust of our users throughout the service development process. LINE was only able to grow into the global life platform it is today through earning the support and dedication of our users. That is why our continued growth depends on not only maintaining the trust of our users, but further strengthening that bond. As LINE has grown, the scope and level of user and stakeholder expectations have also grown. This is because the influence of our services has increased, not only with the number of users, but also with their breadth, encompassing users, shareholders, governments, local communities, partners, and LINERs. Accordingly, all LINERs should always be thinking in terms of “how” they are achieving their goals, not just “what” they’re achieving. Get It Done Focus on making things happen As a LINER, the job is, in effect, to always be solving problems. LINERs don’t set their eyes on the difficulties of problems or challenges. Rather, they focus on solving such problems with grit and determination, doing their best to create solutions. There are always endless reasons why something can’t be done. So, you need to dig deep, and find ways to accomplish your goals. Work Intensely and Be FocusedIn your work, you will face numerous problems to solve and, yes, each of them will be difficult. Therefore, you must prioritize your tasks and focus on solving the problem at hand. You can only solve problems when you properly allocate your time and effort according to the importance of each issue. What’s more, , you will find that you can come up with new, out-of-the-box solutions when you’re intensely immersed in the work, rather than simply “working hard”. Be a Step AheadMoreover, in an ever-changing global environment, it is vitally important that LINE stay ahead of the curve, working with agility to assess reactions and find solutions. You might miss the optimal timing if you wait until you have a perfect plan. When you execute first and then react to the unexpected and unknown while trying different methods of accomplishing your task, you will find solutions that you could not have foreseen while planning. No Fear. No RegretsFinally, you must boldly undertake all your tasks and keep pushing yourself, unafraid of failure. What we’re aiming to do is necessarily challenging and tiring for anyone, but instead of succumbing to adversity, you should try to find meaning in those challenges and must move on. If you truly did your best—if you gave it your all and went beyond your limits—your time and effort will be still meaningful even if you meet failure at the end of the road. Or, even better, they can serve as valuable lessons for your next challenge. And, when you finally do succeed, you will feel an even greater sense of accomplishment. Lean & Mean Teams Operate elite, efficient teams to produce results Lean & Mean Teams refers to creating teams that are efficient, with nothing in excess of what is needed, single-minded in their common objective. A hundred mediocre athletes cannot beat a team of 10 elite athletes who are determined to win no matter what. WOW can only be achieved when an organization is optimized for a given task, moving in perfect order like one body, battling with a true fighting spirit. Open Communication, Vertical Decision-making To be lean and mean, each team at LINE must have honest and thorough internal communications. In an open environment, team members will suggest ideas to find solutions, and the team leader will listen to them, set a clear direction based on their input, and take responsibility for those decisions. Team members must trust their leader's judgment and work together to achieve the team's goals, even if the decision differs from their own. Keep in SyncIn the process of accomplishing a task, a common objective and direction must be shared clearly from start to end, and everyone must constantly exchange feedback. LINE is in a stormy sea full of waves. In order to overcome the waves, everyone on the boat must work together and play their part. If a leader does not offer a clear direction or explanation, or if the members don’t do their best, ignoring the leader's instructions and rowing however they like, the boat will not arrive at its destination. LINE teams need to be able to quickly exchange opinions, adjust the direction according to prevailing conditions, and synchronize their progress with all members in real time, no matter what changes they encounter. Only then can you survive in an ever-changing environment, through quick and precise actions. Enjoy the Challenges TogetherThe more difficult the challenge is, the more important the support of your teammates is. There’s nothing like the feeling of accomplishment and pride you get after overcoming challenges together as a team, challenges you once thought were insurmountable when you were on your own. When teammates complement and encourage each other in difficult times, a bond is formed, creating a whole that is greater than the sum of the parts, an energy that you cannot create alone. Learn more about LINE STYLE 3.0 LINE STYLE in LINERs’ everyday lives Since the initial release of LINE STYLE in January 2017, the LINE STYLE keywords have been very prominent in all the LINE offices, warmly reminding all LINERs of the concepts and ideas we most value. New LINERs see the LINE STYLE in the onboarding programs when they join the company, in the LINE STYLE guidebook (check it out here), and LINE STYLE can be found throughout the office, on PC wallpapers and screensavers, virtual wallpapers for video conferencing with coworkers, digital posters and more.There’s also a "LINE STYLE RELAY" campaign that identifies and praises LINERs whose work best reflects the LINE STYLE, and the Global WOW Project Awards, where employees determine which projects create the most WOW each year. LINE STYLE is with you every moment from when you start at LINE and as you grow as a LINER. Wallpapers and screensavers reinforcing the LINE STYLE messaging We look forward to growing together in LINE STYLE LINE STYLE is not just an abstract value, but rather the foundation of every moment of your work as a LINER, of your practical choices and your judgments. For those who want to make users around the world say “WOW,” for those who dream of creating No. 1 services together with other outstanding colleagues, and, above all, for those who think “LINE STYLE sounds like my style,” please do not hesitate to join us. We look forward to hearing from you. Go to LINE Jobs Postings Learn more about LINE STYLE 3.0
- Onboarding New LINERs With Fun Travel Overseas An earlier post (Click) introduced how during Covid-19, LINE moved to 100% online work, including for onboarding new LINERs. Today, that training and orientation is conducted in a hybrid of online/offline form, as part of the LINE Hybrid Work 2.0 system. LINE new hire on-boarding process The overseas training program is a particularly important part of the new hire onboarding processes, as it lets us give our newcomers an international taste of the company and show them how LINE operates in other markets, helping them to become true LINERs. In the beginning of 2020, the program was suspended because of Covid-19, but it resumed from the end of last year with the easing of regulations on overseas travel.As a result, over 100 new LINERs left for Japan in February 2023. Here we would like to give you a glimpse on what this special experience was like for our newest LINERs! Day 1: Discovering the Yotsuya Office in Tokyo Departing for Japan Early in the morning, our new hires gathered in Gimpo International Airport in Seoul, everyone wearing I’m a LINER T-shirts. A short flight to Haneda Airport in Tokyo, and soon everyone was on the bus to LINE’s Yotsuya office. Yotsuya Office Tour Through the office tour, it was interesting to see the environment where our colleagues in Japan work and compare it to the Korea office. As the head office for LINE Corporation, the Yotsuya office features a hot-desking system, much like the main Korea offices in Seongnam, offering all the LINERs there maximum flexibility and efficiency. (And, as you can see in the photo, it seems like Moon and Leonard are in charge of cleaning Yotsuya Office!) As the Yotsuya Office is the tallest building around, it offers splendid views from nearly every angle and from every part of the office. Inside the office in the FIELD30 area, there was a fascinating wall composed of only whiteboards, allowing people to write anything, any time inspiration took hold. With the wide range of comments left all over the wall, along with drawings of LINE Friends characters, we really got a sense of the free and open atmosphere in the Tokyo office. Plenty of our new LINERs took the opportunity to pick up a pen and add their own comments to the wall. LINE Corp. introduction and session on LINE services Afterward that initial tour, we moved on to a series of lectures about LINE, including a company introduction, a talk about LINE’s development culture, and talks on various services offered by LINE Corp. We learned about the services that require close collaboration between the different offices, such as LINE Messenger service, and the mission for the teams providing services with special goals on LINE APP LINE Official Account, LINE GIFT, and LINE NEWS, as well as the key vision LINE has for the future.The new LINERs took plenty of notes on all they learned in those sessions, saying they were looking forward to collaborating with the LINERs in Japan. Meeting Japan’s new LINERs During our visit, we also had the chance to chat with many new LINERs in Japan! Several new hires from LINE Corp. asked questions and talked about their feelings about working together. Despite having different nationalities, we realized that all us new hires had similar questions and thoughts. / View from a new LINER / One of the new hires from LINE Corp. in Japan, Kohei-san, said we could contact him separately if we had any questions and we exchanged our LINE IDs. On the second day of our trip, my group invited him to hang out in the evening, and we all talked together for nearly two hours. Despite the language difference, we were able to use a mix of English, Japanese, Korean and body-language to communicate surprisingly well. In the end, talking with Kohei-san really helped us see many things about LINE, like its position and image in Japan, along with some of the cultural differences between South Korea and Japan. It was great to have a chance to share our experiences like that.’’ Day 2: On a mission to learn about Japanese and global trends in IT Experiencing IT trends A map of the many locations the new LINERs visited in Tokyo. 둘For three weeks before the new LINER trip to Japan, everyone worked together on finding locations around Tokyo we should check out. On day 2 of our trip, our teams got the chance to put that research into practice, visiting all sorts of fascinating locations in Shinjuku, Harajuku, Shibuya, and more. We tried out the hip unmanned stores that are so popular among today’s young people, selecting drinks on our mobile devices and then picking them up; cafés where humans and robots work together (Japan, after all, accounts for 45% of the global industrial robot market), and an environmentally friendly used-clothing store. The new Korean LINERs spread out wide across the city and immersed ourselves in the latest trends. Trying out LINE services One great part of being in Japan was the opportunity to check out a whole bunch of services that are only available there. We live-streamed our explorations, like making a wish at Meiji Shrine or just picking up coffee. It was very exciting. In addition, we got to experience just how easy it is to pay for things using LINE Pay at any store in Japan. LINE Pay is popular in many countries, but it isn’t available in Korea, so this was a very useful hands-on experience. Also super important — eating! We used LINE Place to search for nearby restaurants, reading all the reviews to find the ideal spot. We even wrote our own reviews and even earned points!In addition, we made a point of interviewing real Japanese users on the street or subway, getting first-hand feedback about what they like most about LINE. At first, it was a bit awkward, but it was such a valuable opportunity to hear the voices of local users — after all, the first keyword of LINE STYLE 3.0 (click) is that Users Rule. Nothing beats hearing directly from the people who use our products. Day 3: Wrapping up the training with warmth and pride! An unforgettable meeting with GCPO Jungho Shin On the last day of the training, we were very impressed to meet Jungho Shin, founder of LINE and Group Chief Product Officer (GCPO) of Z Holdings Co., Ltd. The seminar room where new LINERs were gathered was filled with colorful paper bags, filled with unexpected gifts from Mr. Shin. Among those presents, the chopsticks gift stood out. In Japanese culture, a gift of chopsticks is called "hashi", which means "path" or "connection." In this sense, a gift of chopsticks are said to be given to build special relationships with each other in the future. After receiving such a heartfelt gift from Mr. Shin, all the new LINERs were all the more determined to create WOW services together.Mr. Shin also held a Q&A session. When asked, “What do you feel the most proud of at LINE?", he answered, "I feel the most proud whenever I meet new hires," deeply impressing everyone in attendance. Proposing a new LINE service! On the last day of training, we had a session to share our experiences from the second day, and even proposed new LINE services based what he learned. Everyone came to realize that, even if we see the same thing, how we feel varies greatly. But what was most important was the chance to gain a deeper perspective of LINE users that we could use for our work. The ideas proposed in that session were shared company-wide through LINE’s internal bulletin board, encouraging all the new hires with the heartwarming comments from the more senior LINERs. “(Clap clap clap) Go for it ~ New LINERs~!” SPECIAL THANKS TO In the end, the new LINERs said the most meaningful part of the training was experiencing the entire process with their peers. Through the various onboarding experiences at LINE, everyone was able to build a solid foundation in understanding LINE as a company, how it works, basic work skills, networking and more. This overseas trip provided hands-on experiences, deeping our understanding of the company and its services even more. We look forward to and support the journey of new LINERs who will take charge of LINE services in the future! ※ Please note that the details described in this article may not apply to all offices.
- Build Better Habits With Other LINERs Through 'The 30-Day Challenge' Getting up early every day, reading two books a month, exercising and losing weight — we've all committed to ambitious goals only to lose focus after a few days. That's why at LINE, we've created a program to help LINERs keep to their resolutions, so they don't give up after just a few days. "The 30-Day Challenge” is a monthly program where LINERs encourage each other to stick with their plans to better themselves — for 30 days at a time. The 30-Day Challenge process1) A regular survey asks LINERs what good habits or improvements they want to make in their lives, then recruits leaders2) LINERs sign up for the improvement area of their choice (lasting for an entire month).3) Members in each group join a LINE group chat.4) Over 30 days, members of each group encourage and remind each other by uploading a photo of themselves each day working on developing that good habit.(No one format is required. Any photo is fine. And just typing #done is enough to count each day.)# The 30-Day Bot is an automatic participation recording system, voluntarily made by one of the leaders for other leaders (a symbol of the skills of LINE's developers) # A Small deposit system is used to encourage everyone to kee to their 30-day ChallengeA deposit is collected at the beginning of each month and is returned to each person after successfully participating for 30 days. The amount collected from the days missed is donated to an organization chosen by the members under the name of the group Together rather than alone! The rise of 30-Day in the remote work era Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, LINE already introduced many changes to the office and work system, including extensive use of work-from-home (link). But as COVID-19 continued, many LINERs said they were beginning to feel lonely, only communicating with their colleagues through chat messages and video calls. People said they miss socializing with co-workers and connection that is built from sharing over lunch or during coffee breaks. In addition, many LINERs said they wanted to make better use of their free time and of the time they saved from not commuting to the office. This led to a 25% increase in new participants to the monthly 30-Day Challenge program. In the first half of 2020, about 120 people were participating each month in the program, but that grew to 164 people by September 2021. That's a rise of 36%! Along with the official implementation of LINE's *Hybrid Work system, it’s apparent that the prolonged remote work system implemented because of COVID-19 has led to a great increase in demand for the 30-Day Challenge program.*LINE Hybrid Work 1.0: A mixed work system that lets employees choose whether to work in the office or at home.When we asked for their feedback, participants in 30-Day Challenge were clear about how much they valued the program. “In the remote working era, it’s pleasant to have a common topic to talk about with colleagues every month.” (From a member of Becoming Healthier Every Month One Step At A Time)“Sharing a common goal with colleagues, though online, gives me a sense of belonging and personal motivation!” (A member of Step-by-Step Book Club)“It’s difficult to get to know colleagues outside of meetings while working at home. The 30-Day Challenge program is a good opportunity to meet colleagues outside of work.” (A member of Spend an Aromatic Day With Coffee)“I wouldn’t have been able to stick with a new habit by myself! But I could keep at it by thinking that I made a promise to my colleagues.” (A member of Becoming Usain Bolt)“It’s very pleasant to work together on a habit that can become a daily source of inspiration!” (A member of Daily Doodle) Behind the creation of the 30-Day Challenge! The 30-Day Challenge was introduced as a New Year’s project for LINERs in February 2019 (in Korea, New Year’s resolutions often start on the Lunar New Year). As a chat messaging company, the Organization Culture team pondered how to encourage employees to participate in online networking. They came up with the idea of creating mutual-encouragement groups, beginning with four area: The Live Long Project focused on taking vitamins, No Disposables encouraged the use of reusable objects instead of disposable ones to help the environment, the Upright Project was about walking 10,000 steps every day, and Create a LINE Sticker got participants to develop stickers for the LINE messenger.At first, organizers were unsure how much interest there would be in a program like this. But 66 LINERs joined in the first month, growing to 116 people the second month, as the number of groups grew from four to ten. From there, 30-Day Challenge just kept growing, becoming one of LINE’s most popular in-house networking programs by 2021.Participants made it known how much they appreciated the program: “I feel so proud, as if I finally finished some homework I had been postponing.” “I felt even more fired up and had fun by working together!” “I enjoyed the process of accomplishing my personal goals.” “What encouraged me was seeing actual results for something I had only thought about before joining." Members of the No Disposables group, using reusable objects instead of disposables People in the Create a LINE Sticker group, completing a 20-set sticker by drawing every day Some of the most popular 30-Day Challenge groups After nearly two years, we created a Hall of Fame for some of the records that had been set, like “longest ongoing habit” and “shortest time to close applications." Here are some of the habits that LINERs really love:Daily Coding is the “longest ongoing habit,” having been running since the second month of the program. It is rumored that the best gardeners at LINE are nurturing the gardens of Github every month.Tears Result in Muscle Loss is a group dedicated to working out at least three days a week. However, the passionate members didn’t stop at 3 days a week, and instead went on to achieve a 124% mission participation!The Step-by-Step Book Club aims to get members to read 15 pages every day. Not only did this group get the most participants ever, but it’s also broke recruitments records! Rumor has it that one month, this group got filled up in less than an hour.The Early Bird Project, for waking up at 7 am every day, is also one of the longest groups. Waking up early every single day requires a lot of determination for anyone, so understandably, one leader might be overwhelmed to lead several rounds in a row. Even so, there's always another member ready to take over the leadership role whenever one leader retires. This group joined the Hall of Fame for “Diligence and Persistence.” The secret of its success? LINERs are serious about their 30-Day Challenge! Over the past two years, 30-Day Challenge has been able to maintain a high participation rate every month thanks to the passion and affection of the LINERs who take part in the program. In a recent survey, 94.2% of participants said they were Satisfied or Very Satisfied with the program. Why is that? According to some of the respondents, they find it motivating to see others participating with passion and get reminded of their goals every day, they enjoy sharing information about their goals, it's easy to participate (thanks to the D-30 Bot), and it feels good to achieve your goals. “I’m glad to stick to this Challenge! Even when I forget once in a while, I get pumped seeing everyone else’s participating!” (From a member of Miracle Morning)“When I tried to drink more water by myself, I never lasted long. But 30-Day keeps reminding me, and even if I don't succeed 100% of the time, I'm still happy with my results. Sharing the process of working toward a common goal was very fun, and it encouraged me to work harder.” (A member of The Body Is Made of 1.5L of Water)“I joined on an impulse, but I learned a lot while sharing and looking for information on the topic.” (A member of Cooking 3 Meals a Day at Home)“Even finding a few hours to work on something is difficult by myself. But working together, I could go on for 30 days and even 180 days. I’ve been working on my book report project for six months now. Writing a book report every month felt very helpful. I like our group where we can share each other’s writing and recommend books to each other.” (A member of A Book Report Every Month) One thing that people say makes the 30-Day Challenge so successful is the D-30 Bot, which automatically tracks people's participation using the LINE messenger. It was created by a developer who was one of the early 30-Day participants, who came up with the idea and programmed it by themselves. Truly a "WOW" move. The D-30 Bot is now used for all the 30-Day groups, and has become a proud symbol of the program. And as the program continues, it continues to be improved and upgraded, thanks to the enthusiasm of everyone who takes part. The D-30 Bot and Participation sticker working in each habit group chat. Last, but not least, are the enthusiastic group leaders in each of the 30-Day groups. The leaders come up with programs for all to join, lead the group chats, and encourage everyone to succeed. The 30-Day Challenge wouldn’t have been possible without the group leaders! “The D-30 Bot worked so well, there wasn’t a lot I had to do as a leader. It was great to work on our goal together, something I wouldn’t have been able to achieve on my own!” (The leader of Creating a Refreshing Home Office)“It’s a good experience to continue encouraging members who are working on the same goal. When I see members continuing past a month, and when I see more new members, I feel very proud as the leader.” (The leader of Trend Clipping)“Everyone participated every day, and that felt great because it felt like I was working out with everyone.” (The leader of Walk Together and Be Healthy) A short interview with the person behind 30-Day Challenge Here’s a short interview with the person who has been with 30-Day Challenge from the beginning, helping to shape it into LINE’s major networking program. (1) What do you think was the key to the success of 30-Day Challenge?Our success came from all the leaders and members who participated in the program with such passion! The D-30 Bot was created because of that, and this has led to interesting new habits and the 30-Day culture, which I think has contributed to its success even more.(2) What do you think was the most interesting or helpful group?It’s really hard to pick out just one. I think Recharge With Sunlight Once A Day, which I participated in last year, was really good. After switching to full remote work, I was less active and was barely going outside, so I started to feel very listless. After joining this group, I began working 15 to 30 minutes around my neighborhood each day, which helped me regain my energy. Plus, I really enjoyed the autumn weather and the changing of the season. I took photos of some cool things I spotted during my walks, and I shared a music playlist that went along with the day’s mood. It was very enjoyable.(3) Is there anything you remember in particular while operating 30-Day Challenge?I don't really remember one thing as much as the pride I felt in general while watching how seriously everyone takes their commitments. The D-30 Bot is the coolest element, continually growing thanks to people's feedback, and has become the mascot of the program. Also, the members of the Create A LINE Sticker group made celebratory postcards featuring their drawings and sent them as a gift. And participants in the program have told me about how helpful 30-Day is for them, and how helpful mentally it is to share their daily lives with other people, especially during this time of COVID-19. I do hope that the culture of 30-Day Challenge will continue to grow and become a motivating force that helps LINERs in their lives and work every day! The celebratory postcards made with the drawings of the Create A LINE Sticker members LINERs' commitment to challenging themselves will continue! The 30-Day Challenge Hall of Fame is a place to learn how many of the most popular groups began. The 30-Day Challenge program contributes to the culture of LINE, keeping people passionate and motivated even outside of work. It’s also a great way for LINERs to encourage and challenge each other together. We hope that our small resolutions to better ourselves will lead to great results. The 30-Day Challenge program will keep going! ※The information presented here only applies to certain corporations and other corporations may differ.
Meet the Global LINERs
- Marketing & CommsTiffany Tai Growth Marketing Tiffany started her journey in LINE as an intern in 2015, and then joined LINE Pay in 2016. In 2019, she became a lead on the Promotion Planning team. Now she is in charge of marketing strategy for LINE Pay Taiwan, helping the growth of business and merchants. Tiffany is very passionate about LINE Pay. Let's find out more about her experiences and achievements at LINE Pay.LEARN MORE
- EngineeringCharlie TangData EngineeringCharlie joined LINE as a data scientist in 2020. He is like a magician who can transform abundant data into a dynamic dashboard, logical report or modules to provide valuable insights for business enhancement. Today we invite Charlie to unveil the mystery behind the screen and walk us through his life at work!LEARN MORE
- EngineeringAndreas Magnedal HolmgrenServer-side EngineeringAndreas Holmgren joined LINE BIZ PLUS as a backend developer after seeing a news report about LINE’s remote recruitment system, applying through the 2020 open recruitment process. Living in Sweden, which is eight hours behind Korea, he got to enjoy a unique version of the recruiting program, with his coding test starting at 3 a.m. Let’s learn more about Andreas’s story and how he’s enjoying his time at LINE.LEARN MORE