One step closerto a better future
Explore Life at LINE
- Starting a New Career While in Pandemic Lockdown? Not a Problem at KASIKORN LINE Despite a pandemic, the KASIKORN LINE team keeps growing In March 2020 when COVID-19 appeared in Thailand, the LINERs of KASIKORN LINE — the company that operates the Thai social banking service LINE BK — started working from home. At first, most people were fine with working from home, but as time went on, we increasingly missed the KASIKORN LINE office, where we used to work, play, and eat together. Collaborating virtually did not seem like a big deal because we didn’t have so many employees back then. But COVID-19 hit us harder than we expected. Working from home was extended again and again, so we decided we could not wait for the pandemic to resolve or to delay growing our team. Despite the pandemic, KASIKORN LINE began hiring new talent aggressively. We doubled our headcount in just a few months. And, although it was challenging, we did our best to do our work and onboard our new personnel virtually. Let’s take a look at the interesting journey of Tayart (Kum), from our Business Strategy team, who was one of those new hires who had his first day with KASIKORN LINE from home! What is it like to start a new job from home? Imagine how you would have felt if you were just about to start an exciting journey with a new company, but because of a public health crisis, the company decided to start a “Work from Home” system on your first day. Well, let me tell you the story of how I did it, and how KASIKORN LINE made it so easy. It was roughly a week before my starting date. I dropped by the KASIKORN LINE office to have lunch with my new boss, our CEO, picked up a new laptop and got the system set up. That day, our HR department introduced me to the other LINERs, all who were still having a good time in the office. Then, one day before I was supposed to begin, I got a LINE message from HR that the company was switching to a Work-from-Home policy and no one would be at the office tomorrow. On my onboarding date! I started to get worried, wondering how I could get to know my fellow LINERs and collaborate effectively. But it turned out, even though starting a new job working from home wasn’t ideal, it went better than I expected. The first few days were chaotic, especially for me because I needed to collaborate with almost every team. Thanks to our employee directory (my best friend during COVID-19), I was able to reach out and introduce myself to other LINERs on each team with no problem. After I started to settle in, working remotely was not an issue anymore. Although it could sometimes be hard to connect with colleagues on a personal level, KASIKORN LINE initiated a lot of activities to make our working-from-home life more engaging and inclusive. How did LINERs stay close while social distancing? Each day started with “Good Morning LINERs,” when each LINER took turns giving a 5-minute morning call talking about anything to light up the day. The contents were entertainingly random, like a morning news update, LINE MAN food reviews, interactive games (free lunch if you win), and even horror stories. LINERs also gathered twice a week for a “Virtual Lunch.” The HR team arranged for all kinds of guests and activities to spice up our lunch time, including live music from a well-known Thai musician, a live session with a celebrity fortune-teller, a personality guru, and countless contents from our own LINERs (like latte art, face yoga, homemade cooking, and ergonomics tips for WFH). In addition to those live activities, we also had a weekly mission in our private chat group, which we called “WFHchallenge #openingthedistance (but close at heart).” Each week, a photo competition was announced with a specific hashtag and for more than 20 challenges, LINERs competed by sharing photos/videos according to the topic. The most popular challenge was #StickerFromHome, with more than half of the LINERs from each team participating! (Fun fact: LINERs spent a lot of company-provided LINE Credits purchasing tons of stickers that week) #StickerFromHome #SkyFromHome #RelaxFromHome #SleepyFromHome And after the pandemic … ? Finally, around July, the COVID-19 situation in Bangkok really improved. There were no new domestic cases reported for a few weeks, malls resumed their business, and our new office space was ready! We welcomed back LINERs to our new office — located in Bangkok's newest co-working space, right in the heart of the city, just next to a BTS Sky train station — with a memorable BIG PARTY!!! Since then, our spacious-but-cozy KASIKORN LINE home has been an excellent HQ. Our office provides all the essential facilities and support to enable LINERs to work at their highest productivity. Whether formal meeting rooms or casual discussions over coffee around our stylish lobby, a peaceful zone for working intensely or a private phone booth for an important call, we do have it all. Our home is even equipped for a full-stream press conference and exclusive blogger events! From time to time, our familiar lobby can be magically transformed into a concert hall, food hall, a playground, or even a beer hall. We are also proud of our very own KASIKORN LINE bands, assembled by talented musicians from every team! Our journey is still getting more and more interesting every single day. New faces become old faces, juniors become seniors, colleagues become friends, coming to work becomes meeting up with friends. We value our differences and unique characteristics. We put ourselves in customers' shoes. We enjoy overcoming challenges. And we believe everything is better when we are together! In addition, we also believe there are a lot more interesting individuals out there. Don't hesitate or doubt yourself. Introduce your uniqueness to us. We can’t wait to get better together with you! ※ Please note that the details described in this article may not apply to all offices.
- CONNECT DAY at LINE Indonesia Every once in a month, LINE Indonesia holds an internal event, called Connect Day. It’s arranged by HR, specifically to bring all LINERs together and get connected with each other. Since we are be busy every day with our own works and sometimes we don’t have much time to catch up with each other; therefore, Connect Day has a purpose to be an opportunity to get to know each other, keep us together and catch up. There are some updates that is being conveyed during this Connect Day, such as introduction of new hires, farewell to the resignees or even some happy news about LINER’s marriage and/or new babies. We’ve embraced these news with the spirit of one whole LINE families. Also, this is also a moment for HR to announce several important news about the office in general.Connect Day always has a specific theme in each month. For example, in April, we celebrate the Sports Day; in June, we have Environment Day; in July, we have Friendship Day; in August, we have Independence Day celebration; and by the end of the year, we have Year-End party for the Connect Day. HR & GA team brings out the concept which relates to the specific theme on the month, and designs the event as a fun and engaging activity. Sometimes it is hosted directly by internal HR team, but sometimes it’s also hosted by other division, in coordination with HR team.It can be a sharing session, a mini workshop or games and competitions. Therefore, the engagement is not only one-way, but also two-ways interactive communication among LINERs. And surely, the event always treats LINERs with the delicious snacks and beverage. Thus, we always set the Connect Day as a 2-hour long event on the last Friday of the month. So, it will be a sweet ending for the entire week from work and a god start of the upcoming weekend for LINERs.By September 2018, the Connect Day had been hosted by LINE Games division. They made the live game competition between divisions, and it’s streamed live into LINE Games’s social channel. The event went superb and there were a lot of laugh and noises. It made us know LINE Games products better, and also was fun at the same time. In May 2019, HR arranged Connect Day to be part of the meaningful event, by having break-fasting together with orphans from around at LINE office. All the children were brought to the office, played games with us, then had feast with us on the break-fasting moment. We cared and we shared; LINERs shared the happiness with others at this moment. By December 2019, pre-arranged competitions were conducted among LINERs: LINE Got Talent. All LINERs were divided into group and each group had a mission to bring out the performance with the theme: “With Great Super WOW, comes Great Super-LINERs.” Unexpectedly, we found many good talents among LINERs who can sing, dance and perform very well! LINERs came with super creative ideas, from the story line until the costume productions. The group winners not only received interesting prizes, but also felt great sense of accomplishment and good memories. During the pandemic, LINE Indonesia has been working from home since March 2020 until further notice, It’s such a difficult situation for us because we could not have face-to-face interaction among LINERs, and many LINERs miss the office, craving for the human interactions. Therefore, we arranged the Virtual Connect Day to bring LINERs together and keep everyone warm. Although it’s not the same as the usual Connect Day, we arranged some group missions in each Connect Day to do engaging activities together. On August 2020, we celebrated Independence Day in the virtual Connect Day. In usual situation, Independence Day celebration should be full of fun games and competition, but we could not do it since we’re separated by social distancing. Therefore we arranged the Virtual Connect Day with several competitions for LINERs. LINE Indonesia will continue to arrange the Connect Day or similar events to maintain the closeness among LINERs in Indonesia, engage all of the LINERs and boost the motivations. ※ Please note that the details described in this article may not apply to all offices.
- Take a break, recharge, and gain new insights with FNL! One of LINE’s most popular programs is Friday Noon Live (FNL), a regularly held lecture series featuring celebrity speakers and a wide range of fascinating topics. Since launching in July 2015, FNL has been held 57 times, bringing fresh ideas and great insights to LINE during the Friday lunchtime. Even COVID-19 hasn’t stopped FNL from challenging and engaging LINERs, it just moved the event online. Time to recharge your life Topics such as psychology, philosophy, health, and healing have become essential for many people’s busy lives, helping them to recharge and keep a positive outlook. Many of the speakers who have visited LINE have talked on health-related subjects, and we would like to introduce two of them.In March 2019, Professor Chungwoon Kim, a cultural psychologist famous in Korea for his fun stories of human psychology and “happiness,” came to the LINE offices to speak on “The Power to Move People’s Hearts.” Professor Chungwoon Kim giving his lecture “The Power to Move People's Hearts” during FNL (March 2019) Kim emphasized how people need to study what they like and earn a sense of accomplishment to feel happiness. He especially impressed the audience with his assertion that your level of satisfaction in life is based on how many times you end up in awe each day. And while the theme of the lecture was profound, Kim’s talk was also filled with funny jokes to keep the mood light.In addition to discussions about the power of mind and happiness, FNL also addressed topics related to the problems facing society. In the second half of 2019, we were joined by Professor Soojung Lee, the first criminal psychologist in Korea and a consultant on “Unanswered Questions,” a famous current affairs and culture program on SBS. Professor Soojung Lee giving her lecture “Personality Disorders and Crimes” during FNL (November 2019) Lee’s talk explored the dark side of our society, looking at why awful crimes occur, along with vivid description of the results of the latest psychological research. In particular, Lee expressed concern over the use of social media in crime, and asked all of us to think about the social responsibility we have as people who work with the LINE Messenger. Learning about culture to nourish the soul Psychology, health and healing is important, but sometimes people need deeper, more nourishing content for the soul. That’s why FNL often offers cultural topics, like art, film, music, and literature, and we like to invite speakers who can inspire and enrich LINERs with their work.Artist Won-Jae Cho — who also hosts the popular podcast Art Museum in the Corner of a Room— gave a presentation called “Crossing the Threshold of Art,” giving LINERs an opportunity to gain a deeper appreciation of art. Artist Won-Jae Cho giving his FNL lecture “Crossing the Threshold of Art” (October 2019) A lot of us have bad memories of being art history and music history classes, full of names and definitions. But these FNL lectures are a good way to bring these topics to life, making them more accessible through fun stories and clear explanations.In a totally different cultural vein, one of Korea’s biggest cultural ambassadors participated in FNL in 2020 — the bizarre character Pengsoo the penguin. Well, in fact the FNL guest was Jaeyeong Park, Pengsoo’s former manager and current program director, who gave a talk titled “Surviving as a PD for Giant Peng-TV.” PD Jaeyeong Park giving his lecture “Surviving as a PD for Giant Peng TV” during online FNL (May 2020) Pengsoo has become a major phenomenon in Korea, and Park had a lot of fun insights about what it’s like to create such a popular character, going viral and developing creative ideas, and how to create a health team culture. FNL as a source of learning In addition to those subjects, FNL presents a lot of talks about interesting, informative subject, like history, futurology, the economy, architecture, and science, in an easy-to-understand and engaging talks to help LINERs develop their knowledge. For LINERs who are curious about how our lives and cities will change after COVID-19, we invited Hyunjoon Yoo, professor at Hongik University and lead architect at Hyunjoon Yoo Architects, to talk about “Post-COVID-19 Space.” CaptionProfessor Hyunjoon Yoo giving his lecture “Post-COVID-19 Space” during an online FNL (September 2020) Yoo’s lecture focused on how home and work have been two of the biggest places affected by the pandemic, as people’s behaviors and perceptions have been changed by the disease. For some people, that’s meant leaving the crowded cities and spending more time in the countryside. For others, it’s means replacing sofas and relaxation spaces at home with tables and work spaces. One LINER who attended this lecture left a comment saying, “I’ve been so complacent about living in the present world that I failed to think about how our society will look in the future, but I'm grateful that this lecture gave me an opportunity to anticipate and prepare for the next change in my life.” FNL lectures delivered in 2019-2020 - Feb. 2019 Writer Seunghyeon Cho: "Reading Trends in East Asia, North America and Europe" - Mar. 2019 Director Jeongun Kim: "The Power of Moving Hearts" - Apr. 2019 Writer Sini's webtoon series “About Death,” and the “Story of Life and Death” - Jun. 2019 Professor Sanguk Kim: “The Universe, the World, and Us as Seen by Physics” - Jul. 2019 Animator Sangjin Kim: “How to Develop Characters” - Aug. 2019 Broadcaster Tyler Rasch: “You're the Pilot of Your Life” - Oct. 2019 Writer Wonjae Cho: “Crossing the Threshold of Art! Art Gallery in Your Room” - Nov. 2019 Professor Sujeong Lee: “Personality Disorders and Crimes” - Jan. 2020 Writer Munjeong Jeong: “How to Maintain Myself and Communicate in this Impolite World” - Apr. 2020 Assistant Director Seontae Kim: “The Story of the Birth of Social Content in Chungju” - May 2020 Program Director Jaeyeong Park: “Surviving as a PD for Giant Peng-TV” - Jul. 2020 Veterinarian Chaehyeon Seol: “How the Unskilled You Should Love Your Dog” - Sep. 2020 Professor Hyunjoon Yoo: “Post-COVID-19 Space” - Oct. 2020 Writers Hana Kim and Seonu Hwang: “The Birth of a Prefabricated Family: Two Women Live Together and Work.” ※ FNL has featured 57 lectures as of October 2020. Pandemic? No problem as FNL goes all-online ⚡️ With the rise of COVID-19, FNL was one more aspect of our lives that had to go all-online. But for FNL, the switch was easy and many LINERs say they really like the new format. By moving FNL to livestreaming, now LINERs are able to chat and leave comments beside the video in real time, turning lectures into more interactive and witty events. Sometimes the speakers even have to pause their lectures, they’re laughing so hard. ▶ Writers Hana Kim and Seonu Hwang giving their lecture“The Birth of a Prefabricated Family” during an online FNL (October 2020) While one of the big draws of the original FNL was the chance to meet these celebrities and celebrated thinkers in person, the “new normal” FNL is about interacting, plus LINERs can now watch the recorded version anytime and anywhere.FNL is a program that symbolizes the relationship between LINE and LINERs, as the company is always looking for ways to enrich the lives of its employees and make working here to be more than just a job. What kind of topics will be next for FNL? The only way to find out is to join in. We hope to see here there! ※ Please note that the details described in this article may not apply to all offices.
- Learning to live LINE STYLE – the journey of a new LINER Get to know LINE STYLE On the very first day a new LINER joins us, we briefly introduction them to LINE STYLE – LINE’s unique approach to work that ensures everyone in the company remains focused on creating the best products and experiences for our users. Soon after that, though, they get to learn LINE STYLE in-depth, with the training takes place during one of our monthly New Employee Orientation (NEO) days. The NEO is a great way for all LINERs to get to know their colleagues better and, most importantly, learn all about LINE STYLE.At NEO, we start with an ice-breaking session for new LINERs to mingle and “close the distance” with their teammates, offering an opportunity to interact with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and from other functions. Then, the facilitator introduces LINE’s main internal tools, like CONNECT, HRonLINE, and the OAs, which can assist new LINERs in adapting to LINE’s work environment. Right after the general section, the main part of the training begins, with an in-depth focus on LINE STYLE. We start by showing interesting videos and scenarios that demonstrate each of the LINE STYLE definitions. Once the new LINERs begin to understand the meaning behind each of the LINE STYLE concepts, we encourage them to discover ways to relate those ideas to their own lives and share that understanding with others. After that LINE STYLE introduction and getting to know their teammates, the focus shifts to putting LINE STYLE into action, with several interactive exercises designed to reinforce the core ideas and deepen their understanding. The NEO training day is very popular with new LINERs and frequently receives extremely positive feedback, with participants saying they find it stimulating and it helps them feel they’re part of the LINE family. And, even after the training day, we continue to reinforce the LINE STYLE concepts and help people learn to apply them in their daily activities. Putting LINE STYLE into Practice At LINE, we think it’s important for everyone to apply LINE STYLE in their work and use it as a foundation for excellence. This year, LINE Taiwan started a quarterly incentive program called the “SPOT BONUS Program,” where project leads nominate LINERs who have achieved particularly impressive results. The management team then evaluates the projects and candidates, choosing those that are the best examples of LINE STYLE in practice and that offer much for everyone else at LINE to learn from. Winning Examples of LINE STYLE! As the nominations of the Global WOW Project Awards 2019 kicked off, LINE Taiwan gathered plenty of brilliant projects as potential nominees, including LINE SPOT, the LINE Digital Accountability Program, LINE TODAY Monetization, Service-Oriented Platform, LINE Shopping TW: 1111 Crazy Shopping Day and the TW Election Project from LINE Taiwan. The Taiwan office was eager to introduce our best work to LINERs around the globe, and after several rounds of internal evaluations, we finally selected LINE Shopping TW: 1111 Crazy Shopping Day to represent the Taiwan office. Among the five shortlisted global projects, LINE Shopping TW: 1111 Crazy Shopping Day ended up in third place. We were very proud to introduce the Taiwan office’s project to all LINERs and to demonstrate to the whole company how LINERs in Taiwan live out LINE STYLE. ※ Please note that the details described in this article may not apply to all offices.
Meet the Global LINERS
- KRDesignProduct DesignMingyu joined LINE as a designer in 2014 through a recruiting drive aimed at experienced professionals. He joined LINE because, at the time, messenger culture was just evolving and he found those services interesting. He is currently engaged in product design for Timeline, LINE's social media service. Let's find out more about Mingyu’s fun experiences and achievements at LINE!LEARN MORE
- THEngineeringHead of Engineering OfficeWeera Kasetsin joined LINE in November 2018 as the lead of the Business Product Engineering Team. After less than a year, he was promoted to the Head of Engineering, taking charge of more than 12 teams under the Engineering Office, including Datalabs Team, Technical Project Management Team, Solution Engineering Team, as well as other teams. When he was invited to talk with us, he was genuinely excited to tell us all about his experiences working with high-caliber developers and delivering services to more than 47 million LINE users in Thailand. Let’s find out what kind of work and culture he has encountered here at LINE Thailand and what goals he has for the engineering teams moving forward.LEARN MORE
- KRProduct_PlanningPlatform PlanningHyunjung joined LINE in early 2019 with the aim of gaining experience working on larger, international services. Since joining the company, Hyunjung worked on advertisement platform planning for LINE services, automated advertisement screening and more. Most recently, she has been in charge of planning at LINE Creative Lab, LINE's user-created advertising platform. Let’s talk a little with Hyunjung and see what she has to say about her time at LINE.LEARN MORE