Explore Life at LINE
- What is LINE STYLE? LINE is … “A place where people who dream the same dream and realize that dream together.” The dream goal at LINE is to create No. 1 services, loved by users around the world, and to realize LINE’s mission of “CLOSING THE DISTANCE.” With that No. 1 goal in mind, LINE is the place where we work together as a team to achieve great things.In order to realize the mission of “CLOSING THE DISTANCE,” LINE always tries to understand consumers’ constantly changing needs, challenge ourselves and look at the bigger picture. Although LINE started as a search service, it drastically changed directions to become a messenger app due to the support we got from our users. And from that messenger app, we have grown into so many other fields, like gaming, fintech and AI. WOW=NO. 1 The value that LINE considers to be most important can be summed up in a single word: “WOW.” “WOW” is that “amazing first experience and impression that people want to share with friends.” No. 1 services that lead the market and that change paradigms always have “WOW.” The two ideas are inextricably linked: Pursuing Wow creates No. 1 services, and aiming to become a No. 1 services means creating WOW. Therefore, LINERs always need to ask ourselves this question, “Is this WOW?” This isn't just about products or services. It is a value that all LINERs must adhere to regardless of the organization they belong to or the job they are in charge of. LINE STYLE, LINE's DNA! LINE STYLE refers to LINE’s unique way of acting and thinking, and is the actualization of “WOW=No.1.” It is like LINE's DNA. Just like a species’ DNA isn’t created overnight, a company's own way of working and thinking evolves over time, too. And LINERs are the people who comprise LINE's genes, that is, LINE STYLE. The word LINER, which you can see all over the BLOGs on the LINE recruitment page, implies the meaning of individuals who make LINE's worldview. The story of LINE STYLE’s creation In January 2017, the first LINE STYLE (1.0) was created, consisting of six keywords: NEEDS, SPEED, DETAIL, DATA, TEAMWORK, and ENJOY. In fact, the ideas behind LINE STYLE had always existed at LINE since the company’s birth, but this was the first time we fully explained those ideas and came up with a common language to talk about them. People who had been working at LINE for a long time already knew those values from their experience, so they didn't need to have them explained. However, as of 2018, the total number of LINERs globally had grown to more than 7,000, with more than half of them joining LINE in the third and fourth year following the company’s establishment. So, for those newer LINERs, we needed to narrow the gap between them and those who had been at LINE since the beginning. In order to make it clear to everyone what kind of work style we are pursuing and to deliver it to the next generation of LINERs, we had to organize that knowledge in writing. This meant not creating something new, but a prioritization of what we have always talked about. Through this approach, we believe that LINE's unique corporate management and working methods will be maintained and will continue to develop!Reflecting the feedback we heard about LINE STYLE 1.0 — that the six keywords were somewhat abstract — each keyword was explained in more detail in LINE STYLE 2.0, which came out in October 2018. LINE STYLE 2.0 also demonstrated the changes in the internal and external environments that had occurred between the two versions, and the changes that LINE required in response. LINE STYLE will continue to be updated in the future as needed. LINE STYLE keywords There are a total of 11 LINE STYLE keywords and key concepts. Shall we take a look at them together? Users RuleIt’s not about us. It’s about them. Our entire business is built on understanding our users. To create WOWs, it is most vital to truly understand user needs. You must think from the users' perspective when making critical decisions and make their needs your prime criteria because users are the judges who ultimately determine success.But uncovering our users’ needs is a more difficult challenge than you may realize. Their needs can change from moment to moment. Often users don’t even know what their needs are, so discovering them requires an obsessive, almost fanatical, level of analysis. You need to keep an eye on their every action, no matter how slight, to uncover those hidden needs, constantly checking and re-checking, using every quantitative and qualitative method. Stay a Step AheadA swift beta rollout is better than a perfect one that comes too late However perfect, a service won’t draw attention from users if it misses the timing. The competition LINE is taking part in is a speed battle in a volatile environment. To be the best, a service must offer an amazing and unprecedented experience—with an emphasis on “unprecedented.”But unprecedented means more than just being first. What matters is being the first to be recognized by users. Plans can never be perfect, so you have to take risks, put them to the test right away, and then revise them constantly. Perfect Details‘Good’ is never good enough What makes the difference are the details. Detail is what differentiates a top service from the also-rans—because when we talk about details, what we’re really talking about is meticulousness.Those details emerge only after we repeatedly and painstakingly ask “Is there anything we can do to make this better?” “Is there any way to make this a little more perfect?” That attention to detail forces us to tweak and make endless tiny adjustments, gradually improving our services and taking them to a higher, more outstanding level. Always Data-drivenFollow the data, not your feelings Numbers don't lie. However, our feelings are much less trustworthy. Especially after putting a lot of hard work into a project, all of us have the tendency to see what we want to see. It’s tough to stay objective.Are users embracing a service as we expected? If not, why not? How do we fix the problems that are holding a service back? The solutions are in the data. You should always make decisions based on the numbers, especially in new markets. Fierce disagreements and fiery discussions are fine, but always look to the data for evaluating your opinions and choosing outcomes. Build Lean and Exceptional TeamsLeading services are made by agile, elite teams, not sprawling bureaucracies Making a team twice as large doesn't mean it can accomplish twice as much. In fact, it can often result in slowing down the team’s working speed. Leading services are often created by elite, compact teams, not sprawling bureaucracies. A soccer team with 100 good-enough players will lose to a team that has 11 elite players.As a company grows, its operations should be like a hundred lean start-ups working together, rather than like a bloated conglomerate. No one can compete with the giant global conglomerates based on size alone. Our advantage must be in the quality and efficiency of our workers. Always focus on organizing small, elite teams and strengthen them. Better, not bigger. Open Communication, Vertical Decision-makingTeams need to discuss things openly, but follow the leader’s decisions Everyone, including leaders, can make a wrong judgment. And no one is an expert in every field. The odds of finding success increase when you can have passionate, frank discussions, and everyone in the team feels empowered to add their voice when necessary.However, after going through the discussion process, only one direction can be chosen. The leader is the one who makes the choice and is responsible for the results. To successfully achieve that goal, a team’s members need to trust in the leader's judgment and work together toward putting the decision into practice. Keep in Sync, Aiming for the Same GoalThe end point can change, but the team always stays together When working towards a goal, a team has to concentrate its energy on going in the same direction. Otherwise, you’ll never get where you’re going. Every member should clearly understand the objective of the project, and if the needs of users shift then the team members also need to understand exactly how that changes their goals. It is the leader’s job to communicate those goals clearly and make sure everyone understands any changes. Team leaders and team members have to keep moving together, constantly sharing feedback and always aiming at the same target. Work Intensely and Be FocusedYou’re in trouble if you’re just ‘working hard’ Working a long time doesn't guarantee results. You are in trouble if you are just “working hard.” When you work hard, you get caught up doing whatever is right in front of you and never think about why you do what you do. To be the best LINER, you have to use your time in a smarter and more focused way. It is better to spend an hour working really intensely than 5 or 6 hours just kind-of-hard. You should also always be aware of the fundamentals underlying your work: What you are doing, for whom and why. 1% Problem-finding, 99% Solution-makingDon’t ask ‘What’s wrong?’ Ask ‘How do we make it right?’ Thinking critically can be an important part of creating a product or service, but don’t spend too much time fixated on what’s wrong—just 1% of your energy. Instead, put the other 99% into figuring out how to make it work. Anyone can find obstacles and potential problems, but at LINE we want people to concentrate their energy on discovering new things and generating new solutions that nobody has thought of before. Go Brave. No Fear. No RegretsIf you want to hit a home run, you’ve got to swing for the fences In baseball, a home-run king also tends to be a strikeout king because hitting home runs requires taking full, hard swings, which increases the risk of strikes. You cannot hit a homer from a bunt.The same is true for creating new services. If you have identified a feasible project with a sizeable potential market, you should take a serious swing at it, without being afraid of failure. And when someone else’s bold play turns out to be a failure, you shouldn’t criticize them. Instead analyze what happened and figure out the key lessons you can share, to prevent others from repeating the same mistakes. Learning from failure is the first step toward creating a success. Enjoy the ChallengesIf your heart is beating fast, then you’ve taken on a true challenge The history of LINE is the history of achievement and growth made through boldly taking on all challenges and failing without regret. This process is not enjoyable for everyone. Sometimes it can be so exhausting that you just want to walk away. But the harder the challenge, the greater the sense of achievement when you overcome it. It's exciting to know that, after so much effort and many trials and errors, our services can bring a sense of WOW to the world and make life easier and more enjoyable for millions of people everywhere.But that kind of heart-pounding experience is only available to those who enjoy wrestling with big challenges and who don’t give up in the middle. If you like being the first person to leave footsteps in the fresh white snow and are proud of leading a difficult challenge to success, you'll be able to enjoy your journey no matter how hard it is. And that's a great way to build a WOW service. LINE STYLE in LINERs’ everyday lives With the initial release of LINE STYLE in January 2017, the LINE STYLE keywords could found at every moment of LINERs’ lives. They aren’t just words, but concepts you encounter constantly throughout your everyday work. LINERs see LINE STYLE in the onboarding programs that new LINERS receive, in the in-house communication programs and events, the employee evaluation system, and the Global WOW Project Awards, where employees determine which projects created the most WOW each year! LINE STYLE is with you every moment from when you start and as you grow as a LINER. In addition, after the update to LINE STYLE 2.0, we began sharing the LINERs’ way of work by applying them to various products so that it can be easily accessed anytime, anywhere. In particular, a guidebook was created so that LINERs can understand LINE STYLE in more detail and in three dimensions. We also distributed WOW and keyword stickers that can be attached to visible places so that everyone can be reminded of the LINE STYLE keywords throughout the day. In addition, LINERs are able to see the keywords throughout their office space, on desktop wallpapers, screen savers and digital posters. *See LINE STYLE BOOK LINE STYLE BOOK and soft and fluffy stickers LINE STYLE stickers for laptops, calendars and diaries Desktop wallpapers and screen savers on LINERs’ PCs while they are away We are looking for people who are ready to challenge themselves to make their dreams according to LINE STYLE. LINE STYLE is not just a word, but a way of thought and a system of values we use for making our choices and judgments, and the foundation for every moment of our work as LINERs. Those who want to hear users around the world say “WOW” work according to LINE STYLE. Those who dream of creating No.1 services and want to do so together with outstanding colleagues.Above all, those who think “LINE STYLE sounds like my style,” do not hesitate, but challenge yourself now! Go to LINE Careers *See LINE STYLE BOOK
- Build Better Habits With Other LINERs Through 'The 30-Day Challenge' Getting up early every day, reading two books a month, exercising and losing weight — we've all committed to ambitious goals only to lose focus after a few days. That's why at LINE, we've created a program to help LINERs keep to their resolutions, so they don't give up after just a few days. "The 30-Day Challenge” is a monthly program where LINERs encourage each other to stick with their plans to better themselves — for 30 days at a time. The 30-Day Challenge process1) A regular survey asks LINERs what good habits or improvements they want to make in their lives, then recruits leaders2) LINERs sign up for the improvement area of their choice (lasting for an entire month).3) Members in each group join a LINE group chat.4) Over 30 days, members of each group encourage and remind each other by uploading a photo of themselves each day working on developing that good habit.(No one format is required. Any photo is fine. And just typing #done is enough to count each day.)# The 30-Day Bot is an automatic participation recording system, voluntarily made by one of the leaders for other leaders (a symbol of the skills of LINE's developers) # A Small deposit system is used to encourage everyone to kee to their 30-day ChallengeA deposit is collected at the beginning of each month and is returned to each person after successfully participating for 30 days. The amount collected from the days missed is donated to an organization chosen by the members under the name of the group Together rather than alone! The rise of 30-Day in the remote work era Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, LINE already introduced many changes to the office and work system, including extensive use of work-from-home (link). But as COVID-19 continued, many LINERs said they were beginning to feel lonely, only communicating with their colleagues through chat messages and video calls. People said they miss socializing with co-workers and connection that is built from sharing over lunch or during coffee breaks. In addition, many LINERs said they wanted to make better use of their free time and of the time they saved from not commuting to the office. This led to a 25% increase in new participants to the monthly 30-Day Challenge program. In the first half of 2020, about 120 people were participating each month in the program, but that grew to 164 people by September 2021. That's a rise of 36%! Along with the official implementation of LINE's *Hybrid Work system, it’s apparent that the prolonged remote work system implemented because of COVID-19 has led to a great increase in demand for the 30-Day Challenge program.*LINE Hybrid Work 1.0: A mixed work system that lets employees choose whether to work in the office or at home.When we asked for their feedback, participants in 30-Day Challenge were clear about how much they valued the program. “In the remote working era, it’s pleasant to have a common topic to talk about with colleagues every month.” (From a member of Becoming Healthier Every Month One Step At A Time)“Sharing a common goal with colleagues, though online, gives me a sense of belonging and personal motivation!” (A member of Step-by-Step Book Club)“It’s difficult to get to know colleagues outside of meetings while working at home. The 30-Day Challenge program is a good opportunity to meet colleagues outside of work.” (A member of Spend an Aromatic Day With Coffee)“I wouldn’t have been able to stick with a new habit by myself! But I could keep at it by thinking that I made a promise to my colleagues.” (A member of Becoming Usain Bolt)“It’s very pleasant to work together on a habit that can become a daily source of inspiration!” (A member of Daily Doodle) Behind the creation of the 30-Day Challenge! The 30-Day Challenge was introduced as a New Year’s project for LINERs in February 2019 (in Korea, New Year’s resolutions often start on the Lunar New Year). As a chat messaging company, the Organization Culture team pondered how to encourage employees to participate in online networking. They came up with the idea of creating mutual-encouragement groups, beginning with four area: The Live Long Project focused on taking vitamins, No Disposables encouraged the use of reusable objects instead of disposable ones to help the environment, the Upright Project was about walking 10,000 steps every day, and Create a LINE Sticker got participants to develop stickers for the LINE messenger.At first, organizers were unsure how much interest there would be in a program like this. But 66 LINERs joined in the first month, growing to 116 people the second month, as the number of groups grew from four to ten. From there, 30-Day Challenge just kept growing, becoming one of LINE’s most popular in-house networking programs by 2021.Participants made it known how much they appreciated the program: “I feel so proud, as if I finally finished some homework I had been postponing.” “I felt even more fired up and had fun by working together!” “I enjoyed the process of accomplishing my personal goals.” “What encouraged me was seeing actual results for something I had only thought about before joining." Members of the No Disposables group, using reusable objects instead of disposables People in the Create a LINE Sticker group, completing a 20-set sticker by drawing every day Some of the most popular 30-Day Challenge groups After nearly two years, we created a Hall of Fame for some of the records that had been set, like “longest ongoing habit” and “shortest time to close applications." Here are some of the habits that LINERs really love:Daily Coding is the “longest ongoing habit,” having been running since the second month of the program. It is rumored that the best gardeners at LINE are nurturing the gardens of Github every month.Tears Result in Muscle Loss is a group dedicated to working out at least three days a week. However, the passionate members didn’t stop at 3 days a week, and instead went on to achieve a 124% mission participation!The Step-by-Step Book Club aims to get members to read 15 pages every day. Not only did this group get the most participants ever, but it’s also broke recruitments records! Rumor has it that one month, this group got filled up in less than an hour.The Early Bird Project, for waking up at 7 am every day, is also one of the longest groups. Waking up early every single day requires a lot of determination for anyone, so understandably, one leader might be overwhelmed to lead several rounds in a row. Even so, there's always another member ready to take over the leadership role whenever one leader retires. This group joined the Hall of Fame for “Diligence and Persistence.” The secret of its success? LINERs are serious about their 30-Day Challenge! Over the past two years, 30-Day Challenge has been able to maintain a high participation rate every month thanks to the passion and affection of the LINERs who take part in the program. In a recent survey, 94.2% of participants said they were Satisfied or Very Satisfied with the program. Why is that? According to some of the respondents, they find it motivating to see others participating with passion and get reminded of their goals every day, they enjoy sharing information about their goals, it's easy to participate (thanks to the D-30 Bot), and it feels good to achieve your goals. “I’m glad to stick to this Challenge! Even when I forget once in a while, I get pumped seeing everyone else’s participating!” (From a member of Miracle Morning)“When I tried to drink more water by myself, I never lasted long. But 30-Day keeps reminding me, and even if I don't succeed 100% of the time, I'm still happy with my results. Sharing the process of working toward a common goal was very fun, and it encouraged me to work harder.” (A member of The Body Is Made of 1.5L of Water)“I joined on an impulse, but I learned a lot while sharing and looking for information on the topic.” (A member of Cooking 3 Meals a Day at Home)“Even finding a few hours to work on something is difficult by myself. But working together, I could go on for 30 days and even 180 days. I’ve been working on my book report project for six months now. Writing a book report every month felt very helpful. I like our group where we can share each other’s writing and recommend books to each other.” (A member of A Book Report Every Month) One thing that people say makes the 30-Day Challenge so successful is the D-30 Bot, which automatically tracks people's participation using the LINE messenger. It was created by a developer who was one of the early 30-Day participants, who came up with the idea and programmed it by themselves. Truly a "WOW" move. The D-30 Bot is now used for all the 30-Day groups, and has become a proud symbol of the program. And as the program continues, it continues to be improved and upgraded, thanks to the enthusiasm of everyone who takes part. The D-30 Bot and Participation sticker working in each habit group chat. Last, but not least, are the enthusiastic group leaders in each of the 30-Day groups. The leaders come up with programs for all to join, lead the group chats, and encourage everyone to succeed. The 30-Day Challenge wouldn’t have been possible without the group leaders! “The D-30 Bot worked so well, there wasn’t a lot I had to do as a leader. It was great to work on our goal together, something I wouldn’t have been able to achieve on my own!” (The leader of Creating a Refreshing Home Office)“It’s a good experience to continue encouraging members who are working on the same goal. When I see members continuing past a month, and when I see more new members, I feel very proud as the leader.” (The leader of Trend Clipping)“Everyone participated every day, and that felt great because it felt like I was working out with everyone.” (The leader of Walk Together and Be Healthy) A short interview with the person behind 30-Day Challenge Here’s a short interview with the person who has been with 30-Day Challenge from the beginning, helping to shape it into LINE’s major networking program. (1) What do you think was the key to the success of 30-Day Challenge?Our success came from all the leaders and members who participated in the program with such passion! The D-30 Bot was created because of that, and this has led to interesting new habits and the 30-Day culture, which I think has contributed to its success even more.(2) What do you think was the most interesting or helpful group?It’s really hard to pick out just one. I think Recharge With Sunlight Once A Day, which I participated in last year, was really good. After switching to full remote work, I was less active and was barely going outside, so I started to feel very listless. After joining this group, I began working 15 to 30 minutes around my neighborhood each day, which helped me regain my energy. Plus, I really enjoyed the autumn weather and the changing of the season. I took photos of some cool things I spotted during my walks, and I shared a music playlist that went along with the day’s mood. It was very enjoyable.(3) Is there anything you remember in particular while operating 30-Day Challenge?I don't really remember one thing as much as the pride I felt in general while watching how seriously everyone takes their commitments. The D-30 Bot is the coolest element, continually growing thanks to people's feedback, and has become the mascot of the program. Also, the members of the Create A LINE Sticker group made celebratory postcards featuring their drawings and sent them as a gift. And participants in the program have told me about how helpful 30-Day is for them, and how helpful mentally it is to share their daily lives with other people, especially during this time of COVID-19. I do hope that the culture of 30-Day Challenge will continue to grow and become a motivating force that helps LINERs in their lives and work every day! The celebratory postcards made with the drawings of the Create A LINE Sticker members LINERs' commitment to challenging themselves will continue! The 30-Day Challenge Hall of Fame is a place to learn how many of the most popular groups began. The 30-Day Challenge program contributes to the culture of LINE, keeping people passionate and motivated even outside of work. It’s also a great way for LINERs to encourage and challenge each other together. We hope that our small resolutions to better ourselves will lead to great results. The 30-Day Challenge program will keep going! ※The information presented here only applies to certain corporations and other corporations may differ.
- LINE Library in the Tokyo Office When you walk into LINE's offices, you'll find a micro library inside the cafeteria. The area is called "LINE Library," serving as an internal communication space where LINERs can grow together by sharing their knowledge and learning from each other through reading books. Sharing your knowledge inspires others to drive "WOW" Books lined up on the shelves are recommended by people in leadership roles at LINE or industry experts. LINE Library was designed to cultivate an office culture that inspires creative thinking among LINERs. To make the library easily accessible, it is located inside office cafeterias and allows anyone working at LINE to borrow a book for free. LINE Library at the Shinjuku headquarters. Just a step away from the cozy tatami space in the back,where people can relax and enjoy reading. Categorization based on LINE STYLE Books are displayed based on three categories chosen from the eleven elements of "LINE STYLE" You can find not only business books, but novels, comics, and more in the library. The little cards in front of each book outline why the book was recommended and insights the book might offer you for work. On the shelves, movies sponsored by LINE and LINE Manga's new titles are also available. Get inspired by someone else's scribbles As readers are allowed to underline words or scribble on pages that they think are significant, you will be reading the ideas of previous readers along the text, feeling empathy with their thoughts or ending up writing down your ideas on the same page. This is how knowledge gets spread and shared among LINERs. LINE Library—a place for driving "WOW=NO.1"—will evolve further so LINERs can take full advantage of it even while working from home! ※ Please note that the details described in this article may not apply to all offices.
- How LINE Prepares for the New Year’s Rush: A Developer’s Tale Three midnights on New Year’s Eve at LINE For developers at LINE, there are three major New Year’s Eves each year: First the New Year comes to Japan, then an hour later it’s midnight in Taiwan, and an hour after that the people of Thailand ring in the New Year. For each one, LINE experiences a major surge in traffic, which forces our engineers to be alert and ready to act. To learn first-hand what it’s like to go through those three big surges, we talked to Hyunsu Kim from the LINE PLUS Service Engineering Team, who was the project manager for the 2021 New Year’s Traffic Response Task Force. New Year’s traffic response Q. Please share what exactly entails LINE’s annual New Year’s traffic response. A lot of people send New Year’s greetings to their family, friends and work colleagues right around midnight on New Year’s Eve and early on New Year’s Day, and LINE is one of the most popular ways of doing so. In fact, New Year’s is our biggest traffic surge of the year, in terms of greetings and messages. In fact, in the early days of the LINE messenger, sometimes that surge caused service failures because we could not handle this large volume of traffic. In order to prevent such failures, we inspect the system and fix potential issues starting in September each year. If it is deemed necessary, we expand our infrastructure or adopt other solutions to improve the situation. The chat room and monitoring desks of developers preparing for the New Year Q. How is the New Year’s traffic response task force staffed? Since a lot of people participate in the New Year’s traffic response, we create a task force rather than a team. This year, around 200 developers based in Korea and Japan worked hard to ensure the smooth handling of traffic on New Year’s. First, we select a leader to take charge of the New Year’s traffic response for the year. Then, that person organizes the service components that are required for the New Year’s traffic response and starts preparing for New Year’s Eve together with the teams and service owners who are in charge of each service component. Q. What are some of the tasks and important factors that the New Year’s traffic response requires? The details of what needs to be done varies a lot, depending on a service component’s aspects and features. But, in general terms, each service component needs to estimate the traffic volume it expects to handle that evening and checks whether we have sufficient infrastructure to handle it, such as servers and network.On New Year’s Eve, we come to the office at around 4 p.m. and work until 3 a.m. Because the traffic is usually high between 9 p.m. and 11 p.m., we restart the entire Talk-Server, which is the core service of LINE messenger, at around 5 p.m. in order to avoid potential issues. In addition, we continuously check whether everything is being performed correctly, such as adjusting the log level and turning off the push tracking function (which does not have a direct impact on the service operation, but could slightly improve the capacity of the service).The most important factor in the New Year’s traffic response is inspecting whether the LINE Messaging service is handling the traffic without any issues. We pay extra attention to the benchmark test (BMT) process to check whether the anticipated messaging traffic is being handled sufficiently and we make corresponding improvements if necessary. A LINE traffic chart showing midnight on New Year’s Eve, with no signs of error Q. Cooperation with LINE’s other offices must also be crucial. How do you all work together? I focus on keeping communications smooth when working with the other offices. We hold a number of conference calls during the preparation process, and use interpretation services to make sure everything is clear. In addition to the conference calls, we open a separate communication channel where everyone can talk and share. This channel is in English so that everyone can understand what is being said. Screenshot of Slack 40 minutes before midnight showing the current service status Q. The work environment has changed a lot due to COVID-19. What changed about the 2021 New Year's traffic response? Because of COVID-19, most of the 2021 New Year’s traffic response was done from people’s homes, not in the office. In the past, when we were all in the office together, we could do most things verbally because the work mostly involves checking various things over a short period of time. Working from home, however, required us to arrange the means of communication in advance. We created a conference room for each component and a separate conference room for emergency discussions in the event of any failure. We pre-arranged contact methods to ensure a smooth communication environment.As we prepared a lot in advance, this year’s New Year’s traffic response went well, without any issues. Afterward, we had some assessment meetings and made a list of improvements that could be made in the work-from-home environment. Personally, I was pleased to know that many of my colleagues who have been working on the New Year’s traffic response for several years were able to spend this New Year’s Eve with their family, thanks to working from home. A successful New Year’s traffic response meant everyone finished the evening pleased with their work. Developers celebrating a successful evening by photographing their finished work stations (and with ramen and beer, too). Q. Anything else you’d like to share? We were able to finish our New Year’s traffic response smoothly and welcome 2021 thanks to a lot of people who worked hard and did their jobs well. I’d like to thank them and express my sincere gratitude for every LINER who worked hard. I wish you all happiness and good fortune in 2021! (And I hope we will soon be able to live without wearing face masks!) Read the LINE Engineering Blog post related to New Year’s traffic response [Click here] Watch the LINE Development Archive video related to New Year’s traffic response [Click here] ※ Please note that the details described in this article may not apply to all offices.
- Learning to live LINE STYLE – the journey of a new LINER Get to know LINE STYLE On the very first day a new LINER joins us, we briefly introduction them to LINE STYLE – LINE’s unique approach to work that ensures everyone in the company remains focused on creating the best products and experiences for our users. Soon after that, though, they get to learn LINE STYLE in-depth, with the training takes place during one of our monthly New Employee Orientation (NEO) days. The NEO is a great way for all LINERs to get to know their colleagues better and, most importantly, learn all about LINE STYLE.At NEO, we start with an ice-breaking session for new LINERs to mingle and “close the distance” with their teammates, offering an opportunity to interact with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and from other functions. Then, the facilitator introduces LINE’s main internal tools, like CONNECT, HRonLINE, and the OAs, which can assist new LINERs in adapting to LINE’s work environment. Right after the general section, the main part of the training begins, with an in-depth focus on LINE STYLE. We start by showing interesting videos and scenarios that demonstrate each of the LINE STYLE definitions. Once the new LINERs begin to understand the meaning behind each of the LINE STYLE concepts, we encourage them to discover ways to relate those ideas to their own lives and share that understanding with others. After that LINE STYLE introduction and getting to know their teammates, the focus shifts to putting LINE STYLE into action, with several interactive exercises designed to reinforce the core ideas and deepen their understanding. The NEO training day is very popular with new LINERs and frequently receives extremely positive feedback, with participants saying they find it stimulating and it helps them feel they’re part of the LINE family. And, even after the training day, we continue to reinforce the LINE STYLE concepts and help people learn to apply them in their daily activities. Putting LINE STYLE into Practice At LINE, we think it’s important for everyone to apply LINE STYLE in their work and use it as a foundation for excellence. This year, LINE Taiwan started a quarterly incentive program called the “SPOT BONUS Program,” where project leads nominate LINERs who have achieved particularly impressive results. The management team then evaluates the projects and candidates, choosing those that are the best examples of LINE STYLE in practice and that offer much for everyone else at LINE to learn from. Winning Examples of LINE STYLE! As the nominations of the Global WOW Project Awards 2019 kicked off, LINE Taiwan gathered plenty of brilliant projects as potential nominees, including LINE SPOT, the LINE Digital Accountability Program, LINE TODAY Monetization, Service-Oriented Platform, LINE Shopping TW: 1111 Crazy Shopping Day and the TW Election Project from LINE Taiwan. The Taiwan office was eager to introduce our best work to LINERs around the globe, and after several rounds of internal evaluations, we finally selected LINE Shopping TW: 1111 Crazy Shopping Day to represent the Taiwan office. Among the five shortlisted global projects, LINE Shopping TW: 1111 Crazy Shopping Day ended up in third place. We were very proud to introduce the Taiwan office’s project to all LINERs and to demonstrate to the whole company how LINERs in Taiwan live out LINE STYLE. ※ Please note that the details described in this article may not apply to all offices.
- LINEXPERIENCE at LINE Indonesia LINE welcomes every LINER who will be part of the success story of LINE, and we wish the very bright future that lies ahead of the new hires and LINE. Therefore, we have integration program for the new LINERs so that they will blend into LINE seamlessly. After the very first orientation on their first day, new LINERs will have the opportunity to enroll in the integration program called LINEXPERIENCE. It is an induction program for new LINERs, designed for new LINERs to have comprehensive overview of LINE business and have the opportunity to get to know other new LINERs through some team building activities. LINEXPERIENCE is conducted twice a year, in each April and September. There are 20 participants in each batch, registered by HR invitation and Lead approval. The program is a 2-day long training program, held in LINE Indonesia office. During these 2 days, all Leads at LINE Indonesia present their division and give details of the business and have some discussion session with new LINERs. In this way, new LINERs will have the broader perspective and understanding of LINE’s whole business, not only on what they’re doing at their jobs. Also, new LINERs could understand the chain effect of their job’s significance in the whole LINE’s business areas. It will give a stronger ownership to the new LINERs into LINE products and business. There are also several games and team building activities for new LINERs to learn more about LINE Style, LINE’s DNA and values. Through some games, the concepts will be learnt and embedded in some fun and engaging learning. Group missions and team building activities were also designed not only to solidify the new LINERs, but also to make them learn about the importance of team work. LINE Indonesia will continue to hold the LINEXPERIENCE program as a part of integration for new LINERs, to ease the adjustment of new LINERs into LINE’s environment. ※ Please note that the details described in this article may not apply to all offices.
- "Unexpected Lunch," great food with LINERS who share the same interests. “I wonder if there are other LINERs who have similar hobbies and interests as me...”“I wish there was a place to talk with more LINERs from other teams...”“Unexpected Lunch” started in November 2018 as a way to help LINERs find colleagues who have similar interests and hobbies, or for people who just wanted meet LINERs from other teams and other parts of the company. Since the lunch launched, there have been 27 of these events, so let’s take a look at some of the most successful ones. What is Unexpected Lunch?A small lunch-based program at LINE's Korean office,offering a chance for LINERs with similar interests to talk and enjoy some good food. Calling everyone born in a Year of the Pig The year 2019 was the Year of the Pig, so early that year we held an Unexpected Lunch for LINERs born in the Year of the Pig — whether 1971, 1983 or 1995, all were welcome! LINERs born in 1971 were given name tags bearing an image of a "White Pig" (because 1971 is known in astrology as a “metal” year, which is symbolized by the color white), while people born in 1983 were “Black Pigs” (black meaning a “water” year), and 1995 LINERs were “Blue Pigs” (blue meaning a wood year).Ages and seniority have traditionally been a big deal in Korea, but this Unexpected Lunch was a good way to break down those barriers, helping people to get more comfortable with mixing freely in a relaxed setting, without worrying about age. People started talking about their favorite stories involving traditional astrology (a popular subject in Korea) and soon new friendships were made — friendships that continue to this year. LINERs participating in "Unexpected Lunch" for people born in the Year of the Pig Healthy minds require healthy bodies— an Unexpected Lunch for LINERs who enjoy keeping in shape There is a saying in Korean that “The only thing you can change with your will is your body.” But while we all know we should exercise regularly and be healthy, putting that into practice is hard for most people.The theme of this Unexpected Lunch was LINERs who are trying to stay in shape, whether going to the gym regularly or just doing simple things like walking short distances rather than taking a bus. People shared their stories about trying to get into shape, like one fitness club beginner who was fighting with all sorts of aches and pains from their new workout regime, and another person who swims every day before work, or the person who was busy shopping for yoga outfits before joining a yoga class. All in all, this was an especially determined Unexpected Lunch session. Our "Unexpected Lunch" dedicated to LINERs who are dedicated to working out. Unexpected Lunch goes remote for the Covid-19 age Due to the social distancing policies we’ve all had to follow to prevent the spread of COVID-19, most social events have been cancelled. But not Unexpected Lunch, which simply moved to the internet — instead of meeting in person, now our friendly LINERs meet through video conferencing. For example, we held one videoconference lunch under the theme of “LINERs flying Internet Airlines,” inviting people who had to cancel their travel plans because of the pandemic. People at “together,” even though they were at home, and shared stories and photos of their favorite travel destinations. After a year of lockdown, people really bonded over their love of travel and talked about how much they were looking forward to traveling again soon. The Unexpected Lunch event for “LINERs flying Internet Airlines" Unexpected items to brighten the Unexpected Lunch Although the LINERs who join each Unexpected Lunch share the same interests, it can still be a little awkward getting to know new people. So, to help break the ice, we always prepare a few items to help people get comfortable.Everyone wears name tags, so everyone knows their names, and we try to decorate people’s name tags in ways that better illustrate people’s interests. For example, for an Unexpected Lunch about baseball, we included the logo of each person’s favorite team on their name tag. That way, everyone has an easy topic to turn to to help keep the conversation going. Name tags that show different characteristics of the theme (from left to right, "LINERs who watch Netflix" and "LINERs who like baseball") Another item we supply are "question kits." We ask participants what kind of questions they would like to ask to the other participants, and then place those questions on the lunch tables. That way, if the conversation ever starts to slow down and the atmosphere grows too quiet, it’s easy to turn to those pre-made questions to jumpstart the discussions. A question kit to help keep the conversations keep going ("What’s your favorite horror movie?”) We also create LINE group chat rooms for the participants, so they can continue talking after the lunch is over. That way, the new relationships they’ve started at an Unexpected Lunch can grow and deepen naturally and easily. And once these new friendships have been formed, people can use the chats to discuss anything else people discover they have in common. LINE group chat rooms, which continue to connect LINERs even after Unexpected Lunch The topics of the Unexpected Lunches so far! 1. LINERs with cats2. LINERs who watch Netflix3. LINERs living alone4. LINERs who ski or snowboard5. LINERs who love to workout6. LINERs binge-watching Sky Castle7. LINERs born in the Year of the Pig8. LINERs sending their kids to kindergarten and grade school9. LINERs who like traveling around Korea10. LINERs who like baseball11. LINERs planning to travel to Europe in 201912. LINERs planning to travel to North America in 201913. LINERs excited for music festivals in 201914. LINERs planning to travel to Asia or Oceania in 201915. LINERs who love water sports16. LINERs who love Disney and Pixar17. LINERs who enjoy horror movies and thrillers18. LINERs who love musicals19. LINERs who enjoy video-sharing platforms20. LINERs who play musical instruments21. LINERs with dogs22. LINERs who enjoy dancing23. LINERs who ride bicycles24. LINERs with exotic pets25. LINERs born in the Year of the Rat26. LINERS flying "Internet Airlines"27. LINERs who support medical professionals fighting COVID-19 And Unexpected Lunch continues~ For more than two years, Unexpected Lunch has been bringing LINERs together from across the company, showing everyone how there’s much more to LINE than just work. In doing so, it has become a much-loved part of LINE’s culture and corporate life, helping LINERs connect to each other and build friendships, creating an environment that is positive, stimulating and genuinely fun. ※ Please note that the details described in this article may not apply to all offices.
With the LINE messaging app as the cornerstone, LINE's businesses encompass the development and operation of all sorts of mobile-first services—including communications, content, entertainment, and advertising—as well as new businesses like fintech, AI, and other areas. Under its corporate mission of "Closing the Distance," LINE strives to bring people around the world closer to each other, information, and services. LINE also aims to be the "life infrastructure" for more than 180 million monthly active users around the world based on the vision "Life on LINE." Working on a global basis with colleagues from many countries and markets, we are continuing to grow, helping society and blurring the line between online and offline. In March 2021, LINE completed its business integration with the Z Holdings Group, one of Japan's largest internet-related companies.